Blossom was planned and built between 1966 and 1968 by the Musical Arts Association at a total cost of approximately $8 million. The Center's name honors the Dudley S. Blossom family, major supporters of The Cleveland Orchestra throughout its history. (Mr. Blossom served as president of the Musical Arts Association 1936-39. His son, Dudley Jr., served as trustee 1946-61.)
In 2002, Blossom Music Center underwent the first major capital improvements project in the history of the facility, which serves 400,000 visitors each summer. The Blossom Redevelopment Project featured a major renovation of the facility and enhancement of patron amenities, and was completed prior to the beginning of the 2003 Blossom Festival. Additional upgrading has continued since that time, including major accessibility work within an ongoing Americans with Disabilities Act project generously funded by the State of Ohio.
The first Blossom season in 1968 consisted of six weeks of performances by The Cleveland Orchestra, gaining enthusiastic reviews for the Orchestra and its new summer home from critics throughout the country. The schedule expanded in subsequent seasons to feature the Blossom Festival of orchestral and band music from the Fourth of July to Labor Day weekend alongside a summer-long season of concerts devoted to rock, jazz, country, and other popular music presentations. Live Nation operates Blossom, and books and promotes each season's non-orchestral attractions.