Severance Pledge

On December 11, 1928, in a surprise announcement during an Orchestra concert intermission, John and Elisabeth Severance pledged $1 million to support the construction of a permanent home for The Cleveland Orchestra. Thanks to their original pledge and John’s continued support following his wife’s death, construction was completed in 1931, and the hall was named in the Severances’ honor. This lasting legacy gave us one of the most beautiful concert halls in the world.

Graphic

<< Back to Soundwave