Women’s Committee Is Founded
The Women’s Committee of The Cleveland Orchestra was founded in 1921 under the guidance of Adella Prentiss Hughes. Drawn largely from the wartime canteen workers, the primary focus was the support of the Children’s Concerts series and the Music Memory Contests. Members helped advertise and sell tickets for concerts and assisted with the formation of adult music study groups for the contest. The Committee, now called the Friends of the Cleveland Orchestra, continues its support of the Orchestra through educational activities, fundraising, and service.
<< Back to Soundwave