Now Available Worldwide for Streaming, Download, and CD
THIS FOURTH AUDIO RELEASE for The Cleveland Orchestra’s own label again showcases the unparalleled artistry, refined polish, and emotional power of this ensemble under the direction of Franz Welser-Möst. The album features three of Richard Strauss's early tone poems, providing a tantalizing window into Welser-Möst's reputation as a renowned conductor of Strauss's music.Purchase Deluxe CD Stream & Download
Three live recordings, from Mandel Concert Hall
Strauss wrote a total of nine tone poems — orchestral works that depict a storyline. Don Juan and Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks are among his earliest successes and became instant hits with audiences worldwide. These Cleveland Orchestra recordings were captured in September and October 2021 with live audiences in Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel Concert Hall at Severance Music Center in Cleveland. All three were featured in a series of donor appreciation concerts, while Macbeth was also included in the season's opening weekend, the Orchestra's first public indoor performances since the coronavirus shutdown in March 2020.
THREE TONE POEMS
- Macbeth, after Shakespeare's Tragedy, Opus 23
- Don Juan, after Lenau, Opus 20
- Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks, Opus 28
- Physical: CD (Hybrid SACD)
- Digital (Streaming/Download): on all major digital music platforms including Apple Music, iTunes, Spotify, and Amazon Music (high-quality Lossless Audio and Apple Digital Masters on Apple Music / 24-bit download)
The album disc release includes a 40-page booklet featuring an essay by Franz Welser-Möst about Strauss's tone poems and artistry, along with program notes about each piece and an overview of Strauss's career and legacy.